« A forthcoming Scalia book already on my must-read list | Main | Eleventh Circuit affirms 30-year(!) sentence for white-collar offense »

November 27, 2007

Georgia sex offenders (and prosecutors) on my mind

Thanks to links from How Appealing, here are two notable sex offender stories from Georgia:

Both stories spotlight the sentencing significance of prosecutors and other executive branch officials.  The AJC article explains how the state's Attorney General is giving meaning to the Georgia Supreme Court's recent ruling (discussed here and here); the FCDR article explores why a local prosecutor decided to cut a new deal in a controversial case.

November 27, 2007 at 08:48 AM | Permalink

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d83451574769e200e54fa252538834

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Georgia sex offenders (and prosecutors) on my mind:

Comments

In the wake of that decision, it is nice to see the parties discussing the issue rationally and without too much political rhetoric.

Most people agree that some restrictions on some sex offenders are proper. Likewise, most people agree that overdoing the restrictions will make the law unenforceable.

So, why couldn't we have this conversation earlier?

Posted by: S.cotus | Nov 27, 2007 1:53:40 PM

the difference between the wilson case and this one, it's mainly the publicity. Alot of teenagers and young people are trapped in the stupid sex laws that are mainly design to keep predators away from little children. Instead, this laws are being used to police teenage sexuality. 50% of sex convictions in this country are of people under the age of 18, and 87% of them are for consensual sexual contact. And considering that in some states both parners get convicted of raping each other, i'm skeptical about the accuracy of the remaining 13%.

A big part of the remaining 50% are of people between 18 and early 20's that also get caught in these laws. I don't know why legislators, when they approve laws, leave so many loopholes. It's as if they expect DA's to apply it with common sense, when in reality the more sex convictions the more political capital they have.

I hope more cases like this keep coming out in the national media so more people will see the reality of this sex laws and sex offender laws, and who they affect.

Posted by: EJ | Nov 27, 2007 3:45:41 PM

“50% of sex convictions in this country are of people under the age of 18, and 87% of them are for consensual sexual contact. And considering that in some states both parners get convicted of raping each other, i'm skeptical about the accuracy of the remaining 13%.”

Where do you get these numbers from? I can’t think of any published case which mentioned a “mutual rape”? There is likely a common law rule preventing this (i.e. there is such a rule, but it might not apply), but I can’t think of any case which specifically so holds, and this is the kind of issue that people would appeal.

Posted by: S.cotus | Nov 28, 2007 2:00:17 PM

Post a comment

In the body of your email, please indicate if you are a professor, student, prosecutor, defense attorney, etc. so I can gain a sense of who is reading my blog. Thank you, DAB