January 18, 2009
Lots of clemency news and notes
The coming week ought to be an exciting one for clemency fans, as I think we can and should expect President Bush to do one last batch of clemencies on his way out of office. I heard a rumor that some clemencies will be announced as early as Monday (perhaps to give the President a final day to take back any mistakes). I have not heard any rumors about who might be on the final clemency list, but the Pardon power has this great list of cases to watch.
For anyone eager to get up to speed on clemency law, the Congressional Research Service, has produced this effective new CRS Report titled, "An Overview of the Presidential Pardoning Power." The document is only six pages, but provides just about everything one needs to know about federal clemency legal issues.
For some anticipatory excitement about possible players, clemency/sports fans should check out this piece at ESPN, headlined "Will Bush throw a pardon to Clemens?". Also, highlighting why these issues should stay hot even after Tuesday, Jason Flom at the Huffington Post has this effective new commentary titled "New Year, New Administration, More Clemency."
Some recent (and not-so-recent) related posts:
- What might 2009 have in store for . . . executive clemency?
- A request for a commutation for Weldon Angelos
- President Bush tries to take back one notable (and noted) pardon grant!?!?!
- Will Prez Bush become merciful again as his term concludes?
- More proof politicians are very compassionate toward criminals ... who are fellow politicians
- Who do you want President Bush to pardon?
- President-elect Obama already getting pressure to pardon the border agents
- Few giving the President sentencing thanks
- The sad (unpardonable) state of compassion in the Bush Administration
- ACS issue brief on the pardon power
- Latest FSR issue on "Learning from Libby"
UPDATE: Over at Politco, Josh Gerstein has this new piece headlined "10 Bush pardons to watch for."
January 18, 2009 at 03:31 PM | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Lots of clemency news and notes: