April 27, 2009
Still no SCOTUS action on Sullivan juve LWOP case from Florida
Thanks to SCOTUSblog's posting of today's Supreme Court orders list, it appears that for the second straight week the the Justices have decided not to decide what to do with the cert petition in Sullivan v. Florida. As detailed in posts linked below, Sullivan involves an Eighth Amendment challenge a sentence of life without parole given to a rape defendant who was only 13 years old(!) at the time of the crime.
Some related posts on juve LWOP and the Sullivan case:
- EJI files seeks cert on claim that juve LWOP is unconstitutional for 13-year-old offender
- "A Life Term for Rape at 13: Cruel and Unusual?"
- CNN covers Sullivan case as SCOTUS considers juve LWOP
- NYTimes coverage of very young lifers
- Does Roper suggest young juve LWOP is unconstitutional?
- Juves serving life terms
- The next issue in sentencing of juveniles?
April 27, 2009 at 10:28 AM | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Still no SCOTUS action on Sullivan juve LWOP case from Florida :
Any stats on avg # of weeks ?
Posted by: . | Apr 27, 2009 12:24:34 PM