November 9, 2009
"President Barack Obama proving stingy with his pardon power"
The title of this post is the headline of this little piece today in the Chicago Tribune. These basics about President Obama's poor clemency track record to date should be familiar to regular readers of this blog:
A lot of things have moved pretty quickly in the Obama administration. Presidential pardons are not among them. In two and a quarter centuries, only four presidents have been slower than President Barack Obama in exercising their authority of executive clemency -- granting either pardons or commutations of sentences to the convicted -- with thousands of applications pending at the Justice Department.
Some related posts on federal clemency:
- Notable press stories noting Obama's lack of clemency action
- A simple plea for Prez Obama: grant at least a single clemency in your first 100 days
- Historical evidence that it is NOT too early to start demanding clemencies from President Obama
- Still waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting ... on the clemency front
- Another public and potent call to reinvigorate the pardon power
- "Judge urges Obama to cut coke dealer's sentence"
- ACS issue brief on the pardon power
- Latest FSR issue on "Learning from Libby"
- "The Fall of the Presidential Pardon"
- When will President Obama start acting like President Lincoln when it comes to the clemency power?
- What might 2009 have in store for . . . executive clemency?
November 9, 2009 at 08:41 AM | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference "President Barack Obama proving stingy with his pardon power":
I like this article but..
Can someone tell me about Barack Obama?
I know that he is a serious candidate for '08, but I would like to know where he stands on the issues. I checked his site but nowhere can I find the info. i am looking for.
so please tell me...
Posted by: nintendo dsi r4 | Nov 23, 2009 8:10:14 AM
Recently i surfed to your website and indulge in ended up being going through along with. I figured I would personally allow my husband and my primarily little. Myself don't have an understanding of what things to talk about with the exception that I have got were pleased with seeing. A real pleasant job so now!
Posted by: chelation therapy | May 27, 2011 8:47:09 AM