November 11, 2010
The latest data on women on death row
Thanks to this post at the Death Penalty Information Center, everyone can access this new report by Professor Victor Streib concerning the administration of the death penalty for female offenders. The report spotlights that the death penalty in the United States is rarely imposed on women, though it does not directly answer the related questions of whether and how gender bias might impact the application of out ultimate punishment.
The report has lots of lots of notable information and data, and I always find especially interesting these particulars:
SCREENING FEMALE OFFENDERS FROM THE DEATH PENALTY
(1) Women account for about 10.0% of murder arrests annually;
(2) Women account for only 2.0% (167 / 8,292) of death sentences imposed at the trial level;
(3) Women account for only 1.7% (55 / 3,261) of persons presently on death row; and
(4) Women account for only 1.0.% (12 / 1,232) of persons actually executed in this modern era.
DEATH SENTENCES IMPOSED UPON FEMALE OFFENDERS IN CURRENT ERA
(1) A total of 167 death sentences have been imposed upon female offenders from 1973 through late-2010. Table 1 below provides these data by individual year.
(2) These 167 death sentences for female offenders constitute just 2% of all death sentences during this time period.
(3) The annual death sentencing rate for female offenders during the last decade has averaged four per year.
November 11, 2010 at 10:36 AM | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The latest data on women on death row:
Isn't the relevant criteria the number of DEATH ELIGIBLE murder arrests by women?
Posted by: David | Nov 11, 2010 1:49:13 PM
The latest data on women on the death row shows that there is a rise for their population inside the jail. This is a very sad news. They are on the death row and the percentage of it is like 2%. Can we have solutions to it? Maybe their cases should be opened again for some reviews.
Posted by: CFD strategies | Nov 11, 2010 10:01:51 PM
The female murderer, especially of males or children, has the full protection of the vile feminist lawyer, and its male running dogs. That is reminiscent of another vile, lawyer hate enterprise, the KKK. These genocidal maniacs lynche 5000 people in the open, and the lawyer leaders got the assets of the lynching victims. The crowds posed with the victims in vacation style post cards sent to family and friends. This is the wage of allowing the lawyer to run the criminal law. I would like to see the families of the murder victims bring street justice to the female murderers, the defense attorney, the judges, nearly granting these vicious predators a license to kill, and then presenting them as victims. That was the model of the KKK as well.
Posted by: Supremacy Claus | Nov 11, 2010 10:09:51 PM
Why do these women deserve special treatment? If anything, they already got special treatment given the rarity of a female death sentence.
Posted by: MikeinCT | Nov 12, 2010 12:10:16 AM
This is an alarming data that keeps on rising. Women on the death row list is growing in numbers and yearly the percentage is 2% which simply shows that every year there are 4 women on the deathrow. What a dismay but I think there is a discrepancy on this. I don't want to be gender bias here but we should give them another chance.
Posted by: iphone 4 insurance | Nov 12, 2010 2:54:17 AM