January 4, 2012
"Falling Crime Rates Challenge Long-Held Beliefs"
The title of this post is the headline of this 30-minute segment that played yesterday on NPR's Talk of the Nation. The guests were Charles Lane from the Washington Post and William Bratton, former chief of police in NYC and LA. Here is NPR's set up:
Crime rates dropped sharply in the past twenty years, according to FBI data, a trend that continues despite the recession and a recent decrease in prison populations. Criminologists see a clear trend, but can't fully explain what's driving the decline in violent and property crime rates.
Some related posts on the great modern crime decline:
- Effective Washington Post commentary talks up great (and still puzzling) crime decline
- Amazingly great new FBI data: crime down yet again in start of 2011!
- Still more great news and data on the latest crime rates in the United States
- Remarkable drop in US violent crimes rates in 2010 according to latest BJS data
- Wonderfully puzzling violent crime rate continue to decline (despite NFL lockout)
- Some speculations about the great crime decline in Florida
- Despite death penalty's practical demise and a prisoner release order, California crime hit record low in 2010
- "Punishment Politics: Gubernatorial Rhetoric, Political Conflict, and the Instrumental Explanation of Mass Incarceration in the American States"
January 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference "Falling Crime Rates Challenge Long-Held Beliefs":
The decrease in crime has no credibility when coming from the Obama FBI. Just not true.
Posted by: Supremacy Claus | Jan 6, 2012 2:08:37 AM
A black flash mob, out of racial hatred, attacks dozens of white tourists in a downtown area. The anti-white, racially biased, Democrat administration dismisses these organized crime attacks as a single prank. Meanwhile, dozens of assaults, robberies, acts of vandalism have taken place. Each is a double crime being a hate crime on top of the physical act. Is that one crime, 100 attacks crimes or 200 crimes (attacks with hate), or 300 crimes (with hate added to each count, and conspiracy added to each by the use of social media) in reality, not in the biased Democrat, pro-criminal statistical count? Is this stacking or accuracy in crime counting. The response, these thugs know from experience, will be to be sent home to their do nothing, feminist empowered single mothers. Should one crime be reported to the FBI or 300 crimes? Is the crime rate low or surging?
Posted by: Supremacy Claus | Jan 6, 2012 6:15:58 AM