July 12, 2013
Committee of prosecutors to consider capital charges againse Cleveland kidnapper Ariel CastroAs reported in this local article, there is a Cuyahoga County Capital Review Committee which will be making a recommendation about whether to pursue death penalty charges against notorious Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro. Here are the basics:
The committee is reviewing the case based on the June’s 329-count indictment. The committee will decide whether or not to seek the death penalty. The CRC’s recommendation will then be presented to the county prosecutor.
Castro’s attorneys were invited to provide mitigating evidence to the committee to factor into their decision making process. Jaye Schlachet, Castro's attorney told NewsChannel5 Thursday that the mitigating evidence supplied to the CRC is not public record.
The prosecutor’s office said it’s unknown when the CRC’s decision will be made public at this time. If the county prosecutor accepts the CRC’s recommendation to seek a superseding indictment to include the capital specification, making it a death penalty-eligible case, the case shall be re-presented to a grand jury. Upon re-presentment, the grand jury shall be informed that the State is seeking to include capital specifications that will make the defendant eligible for the death penalty in a capital case.
The capital review committee consists of Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office employees and must meet within 30 days of the case’s original indictment.
This website from the prosecutor's official website sets out "Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office Capital Case Charging Protocol."
Recent related posts:
- Could and should the death penalty be on the table in the Cleveland kidnapping and sexual torture case?
- Cleveland police report supports Aggavated Murder capital charges against Ariel Castro
- "Why Might the Cleveland Kidnapper Get Charged With Murder?"
- Effective discussion of death penalty prospects for Cleveland kidnapper (and alleged pregnancy terminator) Ariel Castro
- "Man in case of 3 Ohio women held captive faces 329 charges including murder, rape, kidnapping"
- Not surprisingly, early buzz about a possible plea for Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro
July 12, 2013 at 09:25 AM | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Committee of prosecutors to consider capital charges againse Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro: