June 13, 2018
Another notable report on clemency suggesting Prez Trump will be "pardoning a lot of people — pardons that even Obama wouldn’t do"
Vanity Fair is not usually my go-to source for sentencing news, but this new piece includes both White House gossip and a closing paragraph that suggest a lot of sentence news with be forthcoming from that building. The full headline of the piece reveals some of the gossip: "“He Hate, Hate, Hates It”: Sessions Fumes As Kushner Gets Pardon Fever; With Kim Kardashian and liberals like Van Jones, the princely Trump son-in-law is trying to reset his reputation. But not everyone in the administration is happy about it." And here are the most sentencing-specific parts of the piece:
In recent months, Kushner has cultivated a close relationship with CNN host and criminal-justice reform advocate Van Jones. “Jared is obsessed with Van,” one Trump adviser said. Kushner invited Jones to the White House multiple times and the two communicate frequently, Jones told me. “Jared and I have 99 problems but prison ain’t one,” Jones said. “I’ve found him to be effective, straightforward, and dogged.” Jones has lavished praise on Kushner publicly. In January, Jones wrote a CNN op-ed headlined, “Kushner’s effort to sway Trump on prison reform is smart.”
The Kushner-Jones alliance has infuriated some Republican members of the administration, especially Attorney General Jeff Sessions. “He hate, hate, hates it,” a person close to Sessions said. But Sessions, who is hanging on for survival amidst frequent Trump attacks, has no power to move against Kushner. Sources say Trump may even like that Sessions is outraged because Trump is looking for anything that will get Sessions to quit so he can appoint an attorney general who isn’t recused in the Russia investigation. (The White House did not respond to a request for comment.)
Jones told me Trump liked the positive media coverage that followed his pardon of Alice Johnson at the urging of Kardashian and Kushner. “Trump was pleasantly surprised,” Jones said. “I hope the president feels encouraged to do more.”
One person who recently spoke with Kushner said the president’s son-in-law is gearing up for a big pardon push. The source said Kardashian gave Kushner a list of people to pardon, some of whom are hip-hop artists. “They’re going to be pardoning a lot of people—pardons that even Obama wouldn’t do,” the person said.
A few of many recent related posts about recent Trumpian clemency activity:
- Might Kim Kardashian West actually convince Prez Trump to grant clemency to federal drug offender?
- As Kim Kardashian heads to White House, I hope she advocates for many federal offenders excessively sentenced
- Prez Trump meets with Kim Kardashian to discuss clemency ... and then tweets that he "Will be giving a Full Pardon to Dinesh D’Souza"
- Prez Trump suggests to reporters there will be more episodes of "Celebrity Clemency"
- "Pardon System Needs Fixing, Advocates Say, but They Cringe at Trump’s Approach"
- Is all the recent Trump clemency action creating (unhealthy?) excitement among federal prisoners?
- Prez Trump reportedly "obsessed" with pardons and "may sign a dozen or more in the next two months"
- Prez Trump now says he is looking at "3,000 names" for possible clemency and will seek more
- Former US Pardon Attorney explains why "Trump’s pardons are really not out of the ordinary"
- Any suggestions for Prez Trump's "growing list of potential pardons or commutations"?
- "Trump asks for clemency names and lists promptly arrive at White House"
June 13, 2018 at 09:06 PM | Permalink
The cynical part of me says that this is all cover for when Trump pardons Manafort and Flynn (and maybe others involved). Trump can claim that they were treated unfairly just like that black grandma he pardoned, so shut up everyone...
Posted by: Daniel | Jun 14, 2018 2:07:26 PM